Author: Jane Urquhart
About The Underpainter: Austin Fraser, an elderly artist, looks back on his life.
- 1997 – Governor General's Literary Award: Fiction – Winner
- 1997 – Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize – Shortlisted
Reviews of The Underpainter
- Lorna Jackson, Quill & Quire, August 1997.
- “She is, of course, capable of stylish, evocative imagery. But she is also prone to overwriting and melodrama.”
- Ann Skea, Eclectica Magazine, 1999.
- “Her clear vision is reflected in language which is plain and quite ordinary, yet her art is subtle, delicate, multi-faceted and very moving.”
- JK, The Keepin' It Real Book Club, 21 September 2008
- “Urquhart's voice is quiet, yet undeniably powerful.”
WARNING: Comments may contain spoilers.blog comments powered by Disqus
Added 22 November 2005.
Updated 23 August 2013.